North American handbooks
The North American Combustion Handbook
The North American Combustion Handbooks provide a basic reference source on the Art and Science of Industrial Heating with gaseous and liquid fuels. First printed in 1952 it has been updated continuously to reflect advances in the technology behind combustion equipment and controls and is now in its third edition. More than 100,000 printed copies have been distributed worldwide.
The purpose of the handbook is to provide users of combustion equipment with the following:
- A basic explanation of the theory of combustion
- Outlines for combustion, heat transfer, and fluid calculations
- Charts and data to simplify and speed these calculations
- A discussion of combustion equipment, its application, selection and operation
Although the stated scope of the handbook is Industrial Heating with gaseous and liquid fuels, the reader will find that the book also contains considerable information applicable to commercial heating and to solid fuels.
Fives has endeavored to collect enough information under one cover to permit easy computation of typical combustion problems with a choice of several degrees of accuracy. Frequent use has been made of analogies and examples in order to make this handbook as generally useful as possible.
Volume I includes principles, explanations, data, and sample problems on:
- Combustion basics: Flame temperatures, speeds, intensities.
- Fuels: Properties of solid, liquid, and gaseous fuels.
- Combustion chemistry: Air required. Flue gas analysis. Efficiency. Heat recover. Oxygen enrichment.
- Heat transfer: Modes. Factors. Practical Problems.
- Fluid flow: Pressure and velocity. Losses. Blowers. Flues
Volume II includes the latest state-of-the-art information on combustion systems and their components.
- Burners, pilots, mixers and atomizers
- Fuel-burning equipment for gases and liquids
- Air/fuel ratio controls
- Furnace pressure controls
- Flame monitoring and burner management
- Process control optimization
- Complete combustion systems, piping and wiring
- Heat recovery
- Pollution minimization as related to combustion applications
- Noise minimization as related to combustion applications
- Oxygen enrichment and oxy-fuel firing
To obtain a copy of the North American Combustion Handbook, select and print your appropriate order form, complete it and mail it the address found at the bottom of the form.
United States - Dollar
England - British Pound Sterling
Canada - Dollar
Europe - Euro
⇒ For recruitment-related matters (application, etc.), please do not use this form. Make your requests on this page.
In order to address your request, we need to collect the information listed in the form below
Information on data processing
As a data processor, FIVES implements personal data processing when managing your contact request. The data collected are required for this processing and are retained, unless you object, for a period of 6 months from the last contact between you and FIVES. If the information is incomplete, FIVES will not be able to respond to your contact.
The data collected are exclusively for the use of FIVES departments.
Pursuant to current legislation, you have the right to request access to data concerning you, their correction, deletion and portability, as well as a right of limitation over processing of your data.
These rights can be exercised by email to DPO@fivesgroup.com or by post to the Data Protection Officer at the following address: FIVES, 3 Rue Drouot, 75009 Paris, accompanied by a copy of an identity document.
In case of a dispute involving processing of your personal data, you have the right to make a complaint to the French Data Protection Agency (CNIL).
To find out more about our personal data protection policy click here